What should I do, if I can't connect Google Analytics?
Recently, Google Analytics made a jump to version 4 (GA4). We are excited as you are about this new version and can’t wait to implement support for it on our platform. At the moment, GA4 properties are not supported. In the meantime, you can follow the instructions below to integrate Google Analytics using a Universal Analytics code which is supported on Sitechecker at the moment.
Let's go over a few scenarios you might encounter during connecting Google Analytics to Sitechecker:
- You already have a Universal Analytics property set up and want to connect it to your project.
- You already have a Google Analytics 4 property set up and want to connect it to your project.
- You just getting started with Google Analytics.
1. I use Universal Analytics property and can not connect it to Sitechecker
The first thing to check is whether you have “View/edit” rights for this property. Make sure to select an account that has all the necessary permissions to proceed. If you are the creator of this property, you have full access already, but if somebody shared access with you, please make sure to gain full access as well by asking the owner to follow this procedure:
- Sign in to Google Analytics.
- Click Admin, and navigate to the desired account/property/view.
- In the Account, Property, or View column (depending upon whether you want to modify permissions at the account, property, or view level), click User Management.
- Use the search box at the top of the list to find the user you want. Enter a full or partial address( e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org or janedoe).
- Click the user name, then add or remove permissions.
- Click Save.
- Test if the Analytics script is installed correctly. Visit your website a couple of times from different devices or using a VPN and check if the number of visits on the main page goes up.
- If it stays the same, please review your Google Analytics script implementation.
2. I use Google Analytics 4 property and can not connect it to Sitechecker
At the moment, Sitechecker does not support Google Analytics 4, therefore in order to connect Analytics to your project you need to use Universal property. We will take a closer look at how you can set it up in the steps described below:
- Sign in to your Google Analytics account.
- Navigate to the Admin icon that is located at the bottom left of the page.
- Click the button “Create Property”.
- Enter a property name (how you want your website to be called in Google Analytics).
- Click on the highlighted text “Show advanced options”.
- Enable the “Create a Universal Analytics property” toggle.
- Enter your website URL. Make sure to include www if the website uses this subdomain.
- Select “Create a Universal Analytics property only”.
- Click Next.
- Fill out the rest of your business / personal information.
- At the top left corner of the next page, copy your tracking ID. It will be in the format: XX-123456789-0
After you retrieve the code, you need to implement it in the code of your website. If you are using a website builder such as Wix, Squarespace, and others, they have handy tools on how to integrate Google Analytics into your website. If you are building a website on your own, we suggest checking out this article: How to implement global site tag on your website
When all the steps are done, please use this tutorial on how to connect your newly created Analytics property to your Sitechecker project.
3. My website has no Google Analytics tracking code set up yet
If you have no any type of Google Analytics code yet, you should use the same path as in the case when you have Google Analytics 4 set up.
Make sure to create a Universal Analytics property, since this parameter can’t be changed later on and at the moment Sitechecker does not support Google Analytics 4.